Closed landfill sites fall into two categories, those regulated by a Waste Management Licence (WML) / Environmental Permit which are the responsibility of the Environment Agency, and those closed prior to 1994 which did not require a WML and are the responsibility of the Local Authority and likely to fall within the purview of Part2A of the Environmental Protection Act.
ESI provides bespoke support to local authorities and businesses in relation to issues arising from closed landfills.
ESI’s services to support landfill closures includes;
- Review and interpretation of existing historical reports and data sets
- Development of a screening matrix to help eliminate sites that do not pose a threat to the environment and to prioritise those that are of most concern
- Development of a robust site conceptual model to determine environmental risks
- Identification of data gaps and additional monitoring and infrastructure
- Design of environmental monitoring networks and suitable borehole design specifications
- Production of a site-specific environmental monitoring schedule
- On-going data management, analysis, interpretation and reporting
- Construction of a risk assessment to assess the level of risk posed by the landfill site to relevant environmental receptors
Please contact ESI for more information or to discuss your requirements relating to closed landfill issues by calling +44 (0) 1743 276100 or by emailing email@example.com.