MODFLOW-SURFACT is a software tool for analysing subsurface systems, one of the most comprehensive flow and transport modelling tools available. Built around the MODFLOW code, MODFLOW-SURFACT includes advanced computational modules that are based on robust, efficient, mass-conserving algorithms making it faster and more accurate than its transport modelling counterparts.
It overcomes limitations and eliminates restrictions associated with MODFLOW and its current transport counterparts. Examples include rewetting of drained cells, handling of pumping wells, solute mass balance problems, numerical dispersion and oscillations, and the implicit assumption of the negligible impact of transient flow storage effects on transport.
HGL, the MODFLOW-SURFACT developers, have rolled out a new version of MODFLOW-SURFACT (Version 4). New features include:
- Density-dependent flow and transport
- Energy transport (to be released late 2011)
- Time-varying material properties
- Multi-core solver (to be released late 2011)
Advanced features include:
- Robust PCG5 Module up to 20 times faster than PCG4 solver
- Reaction Module incorporates user-defined reactions of mobile and immobile chemical component species””invaluable for modelling biodegradation of industrial contaminants
- Curvilinear Grid option for non-rectangular grids in the areal plane
- Fully and variably saturated flow and transport modelling
- Prescribed-ponding recharge and seepage face conditions, as well as delayed yield
- Adaptive time-stepping to promote stability and convergence for flow and transport simulations
- Recharge package overcomes unphysical predictions for unconfined systems
- Total Variation Diminishing (TVD) schemes for physically correct solutions with adaptive temporal weighting
- Multiphase, multicomponent contaminant transport modelling with biodegradation
- Robust and efficient Newton-Raphson solver for nonlinear problems
- Vapor flow for SVE and air sparging simulations
- Fractured porous media simulation with dual porosity
MODFLOW-SURFACT Version 4 comes with complete documentation including a User’s Manual and step-by-step tutorials to get you up and running right away. System requirements are: a Pentium PC, 1GHz, and 1GbRAM.
MODFLOW SURFACT is compatible with the graphical user interface (GUI) visualization tool Groundwater Vistas.
For more information or to obtain a quote please contact ESI.